I just published a post on our Apptamin blog (cf. signature) giving several ways to improve your app ratings. I thought I'd share the key points and would love to hear your thoughts too.
- Getting started: ask people you know to honestly rate the app: get a few honest reviews from relatives
- You want to avoid bad reviews by giving users an easy way (or several) to reach you if they have a question/problem/complaint. You don't want them doing this on your app store page, and you want to provide happy users with easy ways to share the love.
- Within your app description and app website
- Within your app: Email/twitter contact / "Share the love" button / Feedback SDK like Appsfire
- LISTEN, reply quickly and fix problems
- Ask for ratings within your app, but dont be too aggressive
Things I dislike that might work: promo codes in exchange of reviews (doing it too much at least), asking only for star reviews, asking for a review with each app update.